NASA has issued A Solar Storm Warning! They have announced that the Sun is going to reach its maximum activity this year also known as "Solar Max". This will be a once in lifetime event due to which there will be lot of problem faced by Telecommunications, Satellites and Power grids (electricity generating business). High Solar Activity can also damage our skin as we will be exposed to a very bright sun this year. We should be prepared for the time to come and make sure that we stock up high on sunscreens and always apply a sunscreen above 50+.
Even though it's still winter's but we shouldn't pack our sunscreens. If you cannot see the sun with your naked eyes it does not mean that it is not there because the UVA/UVB rays are always there and filter down through the clouds. That is why whether it's Summer, Spring, Autumn or Winter always apply a sunscreen whether you are at your home or going out!
Sunscreens are not just for Summer's they are equally important for Winters!!
In the winter weather conditions change, but winter sun and snow glare can become real enemies of your skin. This is why, it is important to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF 50 or higher to the face, hands, and any other skin area exposed. Don't forget to protect your lips too use lip balms, as this is a very fragile area. Apply a lip balm with build in Sunscreen.
A Sunscreen is more than a beauty "must" - It is a Health Neccesity!!
Even without having a Severe Solar Storm, the sun's ultraviolet radiation alone effects human health such as
- Globally in 2000, over 200,000 cases of melanoma were diagnosed and there were 65,000 melanoma-associated deaths.
- Excessive sun exposure in children and adolescents is likely to contribute to skin cancer in later life.
- Worldwide approximately 18 million people are blind as a result of cataracts, of these 5% of all cataract related disease burden is directly attributable to UV radiation exposure.
What Is A Sunscreen?
There is a reason why this skincare item is given so much of importance these days. Sunscreens can actually do a lot of things which would save your skin. With the ozone layer depleting and because of the solar max - the sun rays are becoming harsher. The UV rays that penetrate through are coming down more easily causing skin hazards as dangerous as cancer.
The tan that you see is actually a sign that your skin has burnt. Damaging the skin is actually not a good idea. Sun exposure can lead to problems like hyper-pigmentation, uneven skin tones, pre-mature aging and even chromosomal disorders! Preventing sun damage would actually keep your skin in good health and slow down the aging process.
When To Use A Sunscreen?
We get sun throughout of the year then how can we avoid sun's damage? The answer is simple; choose a sunscreen which is appropriate for your skin type and need. Wear it regularly from morning till dusk and reapply between.
Sunscreen should be worn not only while going out, but at home as well. The UV rays penetrate your glass panes as well. The amount of sunscreen applied plays an enormous role so be liberal with it. The sunscreen should be applied about a half hour before going outside to allow time for the sunscreen to soak in and take effect. Apart from wearing sunscreen, try using an umbrella during summers & autumn season and a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from harsh sun rays as they too can get damaged!
What are these abbreviations UVA/ UVB/PA/SPF?
There are two kind of UV rays― UVA and UVB.
SPF: The SPF indicates Sun Protection Factor which means the capacity of the lotion to prevent absorption of UVB rays which causes skinburn. A sunscreen with an SPF of 15 filters 92% of the UVB. Simply explained, if your natural sunburn starts in say ten minutes, SPF 15 would delay it to 10X15=150 minutes. Hence, the SPF 15 sunscreen allows a person to stay out in the sun 15 times longer. SPF 15 is the optimum and the standard which should be used. But if you skin is highly photo sensitive, higher SPF are also easily available.
PA: PA indicates the strength of protection from UVA rays which are actually responsible for fatal diseases and skin burning. Single + indicates standard protection while +++ indicates highest protection.
Use SPF 50+ or higher if you have highly photosensitive skin. Some of the sunscreens that you can use are mentioned below. All of them are cruelty free.
These are available on Urbantouch.com & HealthKart.com
- Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matt Gel PA+++ SPF 50
- Aroma Magic Sunscreen Cream Sunblock SPF50
- Fab India Vitamin E Sunscreen SPF 15
- Jovees Anjeer and Carrot Sunblock SPF 45
- Biotique AloeVera Sun Protection SPF 75
- Vedic Line Sweat Free Sunblock Cream SPF 30
- Vaadi Herbal Sunscreen Lotion SPF 20
- Ayur Herbals Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
- Himalaya Protective Sunscreen Lotion SPF 15
- VLCC Hydrophobic Sunblock lotion SPF 50
- Lass Natural Cosmetics Skin Whitening Lotion with Sun Protection 30
These are available on Amazon.com & eBay.com
- SebaMed Sunscreen SPF 50 (Paraben Free)
- SebaMed Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 (Paraben Free)
- H20 Face Oasis Hydrating Lotion with SPF 30
- Clinique Sun Protection SPF50
- Avalon Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 35
- California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30 (Paraben Free)
- Clarins UV Plus HP Day Sunscreen High Protection SPF40 PA+++
- Purple Prairie SunStuff Natural Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Nature's Gate Mineral Sportblock (Natural Sunscreen)
- Solbar Zinc Sun Protection Cream (Natural Sunscreen)
- Alba Botanica Mineral Sunscreen (Paraben Free) (Natural Sunscreen)
- Caribbean Solutions SolGuard Biodegradable Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Jason Mineral Sunblock (Natural Sunscreen)
- Loving Naturals Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Goddess Garden Natural Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Earth's Best Mineral Sunblock (Natural Sunscreen)
- Vanicream Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Saving Face Sunscreen
- All-Terrain Aquasport Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- MelanSol Natural Sunscreen
- Beyond Coastal Natural Sunscreen (Paraben Free)
- Episencial Sunny Sunscreen (Natural Sunscreen)
- Badger All Natural Sunscreen
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen (Chemical Free)
- Kabana Green Screen (Organic) (Natural Sunscreen)
- True Natural Cosmetics All Natural Sunscreen, in SPF 40
- Climb On! Mineral Sunblock (Chemical Free)
- Kiss My Face Sunscreen Lotion (Paraben Free)
- Aubrey Organics Natural Sun
- Burt's and Bees Chemical Free Suncreen
- Jason's Sunbrellas Sunscreen
- Aveeno Active Naturals Sunscreen
- MexiTan and Tropical Sands Sunscreens (Natural Sunscreen)
You can buy any one of the sunscreens above as most of them are herbal or natural, chemical free, paraben free and none of them are tested on animals.